Premium 5
Accountname: herohamp
Last login: 6 years ago
Played: 786 hours
Blocks Mined: 137,298
Achievements: 113

What should I do with my server?

Post by Hampton » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:52 am

So I just got a 32GB ram 6TB server. anyone have any cool ideas? because ATM I will just be hosting game servers, owncloud, and a few other things.

nickmcski
Site Admin
Premium 6
Last login: 2 months ago
Played: 4,296 hours
Blocks Mined: 576,291
Achievements: 170

Re: What should I do with my server?

Post by nickmcski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 am

Is it in your house or in a datacenter? I have a server with similar specs in my house, but because my upload speed is so slow I can't host any publicly available servers.

What I did for my server was i installed VMWare esx on it and I have multiple VM running. I have a Windoes 2012R2 server setup running my own domain and provided a photo backup network share for my mom. It's also the main DNS server for my house using root hints for all queries.

I have PFsense installed as the primary router for my house. ( I think I'm going to set up a DMZ next) it provided all the DHCP services as well as firewall and IDS.

If it's in a datacenter then I would do what I did for my friend. Install your preferred flavour of Linux and setup common web services, mail, etc. I use the screen package to run multiple MC servers for my friends.

What I was to do next is setup a VPN to the server since its residing in the US. I'm running into problems with the internal virtual network and NATing it to the public interface though. It will be a fun Christmas project to get working.
Contributor to the craftland wiki http://wiki.craftland.org/wiki
Craftland coder.
3500+ Hours played
2500+ Hours as a Craftland admin.

Hampton
Premium 5

Post by Hampton » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 pm

nickmcski wrote:Is it in your house or in a datacenter? I have a server with similar specs in my house, but because my upload speed is so slow I can't host any publicly available servers.

What I did for my server was i installed VMWare esx on it and I have multiple VM running. I have a Windoes 2012R2 server setup running my own domain and provided a photo backup network share for my mom. It's also the main DNS server for my house using root hints for all queries.

I have PFsense installed as the primary router for my house. ( I think I'm going to set up a DMZ next) it provided all the DHCP services as well as firewall and IDS.

If it's in a datacenter then I would do what I did for my friend. Install your preferred flavour of Linux and setup common web services, mail, etc. I use the screen package to run multiple MC servers for my friends.

What I was to do next is setup a VPN to the server since its residing in the US. I'm running into problems with the internal virtual network and NATing it to the public interface though. It will be a fun Christmas project to get working.
it is in my house but I have anywhere from 70MB to 100MB of upload and download so I may do some of the stuff you said to do in a data server. Yeah it will be fun. I am deciding on if I should use raid or not as it is 6 drives of 1 TB each

nickmcski
Site Admin
Premium 6

Post by nickmcski » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:04 am

herohamp wrote:it is in my house but I have anywhere from 70MB to 100MB of upload and download so I may do some of the stuff you said to do in a data server. Yeah it will be fun. I am deciding on if I should use raid or not as it is 6 drives of 1 TB each
there are a few reasons why I would not treat your house the same as a datacenter.

A) you don't have redundant internet connections. If you are hosting critical stuff like email you don't want to have the Internet or power go out unexpedly.

B) You need to be VERY careful about about the security of it. If you dont set up a DMZ correctly (or don't have one at all) they could use your server to pivot into your internal network.

C) most ISPs have started filtering common inbound ports for their non business customers (21,22,25,80,443). They do this because most consumers don't need access to the ports and if they are open they are often not secured correctly. So to protect their customers they just block them.

If you do want to try some of the stuff I suggested out for the server I manage in the datacenter I would just do it as a test. Don't move your mail server to this, but do it as a fun test/challenge. But be very careful, in one of my classes we ran IDS software on a computer we directly connected to the Internet on an unfiltered connection. In the first minute of it being online we detected about 30 attacks.

My server also has 6 drives. I would recommend just putting them into a raid5 (if your server has a hardware raid card)

Do you have the model number? I'm just curious?
Craftland coder.
3500+ Hours played

Hampton
Premium 5

Post by Hampton » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 am

model for what? it is a PowerEdge 2950 2. Currently configured with RAID 0 on 2 drives and RAID 5 on 3 drives with the sixth drive configured as a hot spare for the RAID 5. I will change it though.

nickmcski
Site Admin
Premium 6

Post by nickmcski » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Ya, that's the same model I have. My raid is just a raid 5 between the 6 drives.
Craftland coder.
3500+ Hours played

Hampton
Premium 5

Post by Hampton » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:44 pm

nickmcski wrote:Ya, that's the same model I have. My raid is just a raid 5 between the 6 drives.
Ok, I assume you use Ubuntu server or debian?

nickmcski
Site Admin
Premium 6

Post by nickmcski » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 pm

herohamp wrote:
nickmcski wrote:Ya, that's the same model I have. My raid is just a raid 5 between the 6 drives.
Ok, I assume you use Ubuntu server or debian?
I have VMware installed (it's a bare metal hypervisor) the on it I have windows server 2012R2, PFsense, Debian and CentOS.
Craftland coder.
3500+ Hours played