Everything else goes here!
buildhard8
Last login: 2 years ago
Played: 262 hours
Blocks Mined: 143,936
Achievements: 82

Mac os x 10.6.66

Post by buildhard8 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:46 pm

So I had the great idea to reinstall Mac OS X back onto my mid 2010 Macbook, hoping for better performance compared to the linux distro I was running. Dear god. I have ran os x for just barely 3 days. This operating system is a god damn train wreck. Let me list my encounters with apple's bs.
  • Apple's comlplete bs
  • Having my cpu fan at 5000rpm and still hitting almost 60C while only two firefox tabs(this and a page displaying a short gif) is just f'ing ludicrous
  • I have lost track how many animations and effects I've disabled so far.
  • 10.6.8 updates never installed. I had to go through 16 packages and install then individually
  • Craftland? "90 fps," feels like 15.
  • Fallout 3 in wine? Install these patches, modify these ini files, sacrifice the blood of your first born son to satan, install this codec, draw pentagrams on your toes, chant ritual 13.
  • Native NVIDIA driver support? HA!
  • Using an os x install disc/dmg on another mac? Please find the nearest portal to hell, then throw yourself into it -Apple
  • Looks like you're doing something important there, wouldn't it just be a shame if I were to crash? -Java
  • Kernel: *panics*
  • Kernel: 64 bits? TF is that?
  • You better hope to god that you like graphite or blue
  • I'm sorry, what? I couldn't hear you over my sound card not working.
  • GPU: *glitch* *tear* *glitch* *induces seizure*
  • Me: Ok, I'm done with this program now. Apple: No you're not.
  • Still wondering when I'm going to need to use the language kinyarwanda.
  • *clicks shutdown* Apple: U w0t m8?
  • ABOUT THIS MAC: THIS MAC IS RUNNING MAC FROM MAC BROUGHT TO YOU BY MAC: THE MOVIE ABOUT MACS
  • *opens trash*
    *closes trash*
I just have to say that I may not ever run this train wreck of an operating system ever again. OS X 10.6.8 was made in 2011. Don't even get me started on the current Apple.

Oh, and did you know that Apple's HFS+ file system slowly corrupts files by design. "Repair Disk" or, "Try not to let everything go to shImaget."

"Apple is like the weather; neither listen to complaints"

That concludes this post of null importance, seriousness, or worth.
"With no magnetic field, Mars has no natural defense against harsh solar radiation. If I were exposed to it, I'd get so much cancer, the cancer would have cancer."

buildhard8

Re: Mac os x 10.6.66

Post by buildhard8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:35 am

Its becoming self aware.
They're trying to get me to submit to them.
Never.

Lets not forget that you must be at least four years of age to install Yosemite too.
:|
"With no magnetic field, Mars has no natural defense against harsh solar radiation. If I were exposed to it, I'd get so much cancer, the cancer would have cancer."

buildhard8

Post by buildhard8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:41 am

*Is now happily running from debian MATE desktop*
*Is also experiencing no performance issues at 50% clock speed*

marc0303
Premium 6
Last login: 1 year ago
Played: 991 hours
Blocks Mined: 34,062
Achievements: 61

Post by marc0303 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:12 am

buildhard8 wrote:
Oh, and did you know that Apple's HFS+ file system slowly corrupts files by design. "Repair Disk" or, "Try not to let everything go to shImaget."
Oh yeah, HFS+ :D Linus Torvalds did a great rant about it a little while ago:
The true horrors of HFS+ are not in how it's not a great filesystem, but in how it's actively designed to be a bad filesystem by people who thought they had good ideas.

The case insensitivity is just a horribly bad idea, and Applie could have pushed fixing it. They didn't. Instead, they doubled down on a bad idea, and actively extended it - very very badly - to unicode. And it's not even UTF-8, it's UCS2 I think.

Ok, so NTFS did some of the same. But apple really took it to the next level with HFS+.

There's some excuse for case insensitivity in a legacy model ("We didn't know better"). But people who think unicode equivalency comparisons are a good idea in a filesystem shouldn't be allowed to play in that space. Give them some paste, and let them sit in a corner eating it. They'll be happy, and they won't be messing up your system.

And then picking NFD normalization - and making it visible, and actively converting correct unicode into that absolutely horrible format, that's just inexcusable. Even the people who think normalization is a good thing admit that NFD is a bad format, and certainly not for data exchange. It's not even "paste-eater" quality thinking. It's actually actively corrupting user data. By design. Christ.

And Apple let these monkeys work on their filesystem? Seriously?

There are lots of good reasons to not move to ZFS (cough-Oracle-cough), but they could have pushed people to case-sensitive HFS+, which would have then made it much easier to (in the long run) migrate to anything else saner. But no. There is a case sensitive option, but Apple actively hides it and doesn't support it.

The stupidity, it burns.

So you had all these people who made really bad decisions and actively coded for them. And I find that kind of "we actively implement shit" much more distasteful than just the "ok, we don't implement a lot of clever things" that John complained about.

Rant over.