VepaS
Premium 1
Last login: 5 years ago
Played: 1,661 hours
Blocks Mined: 456,216
Achievements: 106

Re: This is how Windows screws productivity:

Post by VepaS » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 pm

I once experienced a windows update limbo.

It installed 147 updates every time I turned the laptop off.
I had no problem with it for few weeks but after that it started to get annoying.
I removed the battery while it was updating and the laptop decided to get jammed and messed up the whole OS.

Now I have Linux on the computer and never use it.
Age si quid agis.

Tyler
Premium 3
Accountname: ctmpkmlec4
Last login: 4 months ago
Played: 637 hours
Blocks Mined: 124,252
Achievements: 80

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Vertti wrote:I once experienced a windows update limbo.

It installed 147 updates every time I turned the laptop off.
I had no problem with it for few weeks but after that it started to get annoying.
I removed the battery while it was updating and the laptop decided to get jammed and messed up the whole OS.

Now I have Linux on the computer and never use it.
I hate Windows, but there are times when nothing else will suffice. In my home office, I have one Windows machine and two Linux. In my upstairs office area, I have my Mac (which I'm using now) that has the ability to dual-boot Windows (just in case). I love Linux and Unix-based operating systems, but at the same time I can't get away from Windows completely. I find that Mac and Linux aren't 100% compatible with software tools needed for my classes. Kinda sucks.
-Craftland Wiki Contributor-
-Grammar Nazi-

Blackjack
Premium 3
Accountname: __Blackjack__
Last login: 9 years ago
Played: 881 hours
Blocks Mined: 419,565
Achievements: 93

Post by Blackjack » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:51 am

Windows feels obnoxious and incapable of not breaking.
Mac OSX feels constrictive, and is incapable of gaming.

I have no idea how to use linux, but like the idea there's 1000000000 different distros, and if you don't like one, find another!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some people just abuse the privilege.

Tyler
Premium 3

Post by Tyler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 am

Blackjack wrote:Windows feels obnoxious and incapable of not breaking.
Mac OSX feels constrictive, and is incapable of gaming.

I have no idea how to use linux, but like the idea there's 1000000000 different distros, and if you don't like one, find another!
That's the good, and bad thing about Linux. Anyone who knows anything about computers can throw together his or her own distro.

If you're serious about switching to Linux, get used to the idea of the command line (terminal). You don't have to use the terminal, but if you learn how to use it, you can configure even the most minute details of your system (or break it trying).

Ubuntu is good, but it's kind of like OS X: Here is our interface, we really don't want you to change it.

Linux Mint has a better looking interface using either MATE or Cinnamon, and it's based on Ubuntu so you have access to the same software repositories.

I think Arch Linux is the ultimate badass of Linux distros, but it comes with quite the learning curve. The great thing about Arch is that you have the ability to install what you want; no more, no less. And you can configure your system exactly the way you want it. If you're not afraid of the terminal and know how to edit text files with Nano or Vi (Vim), maybe give Arch a shot. There's no GUI installer, but Arch's Wiki walks you through how to get everything setup.

Lastly, if you're concerned about gaming, I think Steam supports Linux. However, I can't say that all the games do. You'll find that you'll always have a need for WINE, and in that regard, WINE isn't a perfect compatibility layer.
-Grammar Nazi-

Blackjack
Premium 3
Accountname: __Blackjack__
Last login: 9 years ago
Played: 881 hours
Blocks Mined: 419,565
Achievements: 93

Post by Blackjack » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:12 am

Well, right now my setup is just one computer, but I plan to base it on two. I have my desktop which I built a few years ago, and then I have a crappy little dell mini notebook that my sister gave me when she bought her macbook. The mini is running mac OSX, but has no charger.

Right now, what I run all my games and anything that requires any actual computing power whatsoever on is my desktop, and most of the games I play aren't available in Linux formats. Only TF2, and some of the other source games. My current plan is to eventually get a new charger for the mini, then duel boot backtrack linux and something else on it. I'm interested in hacking, and being a script kiddie is as good of a place as any to start. I've used 2 linux distros on computers in my life, ubuntu and mint. But only for really brief periods of time, I did nothing more than explore the filing system honestly.

As for WINE, I have researched about it a bit when I was considering switching. It does a good job of emulating a lot of programs, but not games. It just can't really keep up with it.

For Terminal/CMD prompt, I haven't fiddled with it much. My Mac terminal experience comes from doing nothing besides exploring files with it, and trying to compile my own java code with it. The farthest I got was making a 4 function calculator. I know how to do about 3 things to windows in cmd: Format a drive, Delete system 32, and occasionally create .bat popup bombs/zip bombs.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some people just abuse the privilege.

Tyler
Premium 3

Post by Tyler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:46 am

Blackjack wrote:Well, right now my setup is just one computer, but I plan to base it on two. I have my desktop which I built a few years ago, and then I have a crappy little dell mini notebook that my sister gave me when she bought her macbook. The mini is running mac OSX, but has no charger.

Right now, what I run all my games and anything that requires any actual computing power whatsoever on is my desktop, and most of the games I play aren't available in Linux formats. Only TF2, and some of the other source games. My current plan is to eventually get a new charger for the mini, then duel boot backtrack linux and something else on it. I'm interested in hacking, and being a script kiddie is as good of a place as any to start. I've used 2 linux distros on computers in my life, ubuntu and mint. But only for really brief periods of time, I did nothing more than explore the filing system honestly.

As for WINE, I have researched about it a bit when I was considering switching. It does a good job of emulating a lot of programs, but not games. It just can't really keep up with it.

For Terminal/CMD prompt, I haven't fiddled with it much. My Mac terminal experience comes from doing nothing besides exploring files with it, and trying to compile my own java code with it. The farthest I got was making a 4 function calculator. I know how to do about 3 things to windows in cmd: Format a drive, Delete system 32, and occasionally create .bat popup bombs/zip bombs.
Linux and OS X aren't too far apart with regard to window system and terminal commands. I find that I can use Linux or Mac for anything other than hardcore gaming and anything requiring use of proprietary software. Using WINE/PlayOnLinux, I was able to install Microsoft Office 2007 onto an Ubuntu-based desktop. IIRC, I think there were still a few bugs. WINE itself isn't an emulator, it's a compatibility layer between Linux and Windows-based software. As I said, it's far from perfect; WINE works great from some things and poorly with others.

We used Backtrack Linux in my Network Security class. It's a great distro if you want to learn to hack. It's meant to aid in securing networks against hackers and script kiddies, but we know people use it for other purposes.

Anyway, if you want to keep Windows, you could always dual-boot with Linux. Ubuntu even has a nice Windows-based installer (WUBI) that makes your Linux installation look like it's installed within Windows. This route is best used if you want to try it out and have an easy way to remove Linux without having to reformat your drive or repair the Windows boot record. Another idea is to use Ubuntu as your main OS and use Virtualbox to run Windows inside of it.
-Grammar Nazi-