Accountname: build_to_the_top
Last login: 3 years ago
Played: 2,408 hours
Blocks Mined: 3,021,914
Achievements: 175

Helper Applications Replies from Players

Post by Build » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:54 am

Hey,

this is just my opinion and if you do not care about it; dont bother reading any further. This post is directed to all those players always complaining about activeness of helper applicants.
I am posting this is respons to the comments under:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6438#p44223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First of all:
You DO NOT need to check players last days activity and tell them basically this:
"oh you were not online last week. Your activity was great during the past six months. However, you not being online for some days in a row is really a no-go for helper applicants. Thats just an arrogant attitude of whoever is writing something like that.

For me, it is pretty clear that stuff needs to look at your activity if you apply for helper. BUT they are for 99% not only checking the last week playtime. They probably take a look at an average playtime over a specific medium term period and checking if this matches with what you indicated.

So please stop to give people the feeling to explain all their private lifes details.

I see no need for anyone to feel obligated to tell everyone why they were not online. NOT BEING ONLINE FOR A WEEK IN A ROW SHOULD NOT BE A REASON TO NOT BEING PROMOTED IF YOUR OVERALL AVERAGE PLAYTIME IS FITTING THE CONDITIONS. (given all other conditions of staff to be promoted are given)

Joyman533
Premium 4
Last login: 2 months ago
Played: 2,703 hours
Blocks Mined: 975,880
Achievements: 198

Re: Helper Applications Replies from Players

Post by Joyman533 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:56 pm

I completely agree with this.
Helper 5/1/15 to 12/25/15.
Please donate rails, stonebricks, and gold ores to the hopper at /warp TheSC. We need many of those in order to build the railroad network in Greycliff.

pig001
Premium 6
Played: 3,387 hours
Blocks Mined: 520,475
Achievements: 185

Post by pig001 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:15 pm

When voting for helpers, each staff member takes their own approach to help decide on the next group. Through, we all consider the main factors:

- Playtime. This is often checked by individual staff members, and depends how active they have been recently. Leaving for a week does not mean you are inactive, but if you leave for a month or so, then come back and Instantly post an application, it doesn’t look good. Often, if there is a very active but annoying player, or a not so active but really nice player are being chosen between, the not so active player will be chosen.

- Your application. Now, this isn’t something I personally use exactly. Anyone can write an essay which looks good (*cough* not this one), but it takes more than that to be considered good. Though, basic information such as time zone, age etc. are checked properly.

- Your presence in game. If I see a player saying "Thanks so much xx_randomPlayer_14_xx", and it happens a lot, that to me at least shows your helping people.

- Your presence outside of the game. TeamSpeak, forums, it all matters, if you’re an idiot somewhere, your likely to be elsewhere, though there are exceptions of this, as many
players act very differently on TeamSpeak, which is why actions on TeamSpeak aren’t taken into as much importance compared to in game.

- Word of mouth. If I hear several players saying you’re a bad person (If you are annoying by certain player’s standards though, this isn’t taken into account, e.g. Esto finds you annoying because your too enthusiastic doesn’t mean your considered bad by the staff), then I’m more likely to LOOK INTO your chat logs. It doesn’t happen often that it will be taken directly from word of mouth, but it’s more likely for you to be even more looked into than other people.

And that’s mostly it. Not entirely what you asked, but I got carried away anyway.

USER_AVATAR
Build
Premium 6

Post by Build » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Hey pig,

great explanations, but I really hope you didnt get me wrong. I was not asking any questions nor complaining about the way staff choses helpers.

You basically underlined what I wanted to say. Short time of absence are not really that big of deal if all other conditions are met to be promoted. So I hope that applicants are not demotivated by the everytime coming back comments like "you were not online the whole last week, therefore no support..."

nickmcski
Site Admin
Premium 6
Played: 4,296 hours
Blocks Mined: 576,291
Achievements: 170

Post by nickmcski » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Build wrote:Hey pig,

great explanations, but I really hope you didnt get me wrong. I was not asking any questions nor complaining about the way staff choses helpers.

You basically underlined what I wanted to say. Short time of absence are not really that big of deal if all other conditions are met to be promoted. So I hope that applicants are not demotivated by the everytime coming back comments like "you were not online the whole last week, therefore no support..."
To be honest, we don't often car about the players replies and their concerns. If we don't consider it a problem, we don't care about the reply.

As for activity, we have our own defined number of what we consider "active". If a player is not active when we are doing helper promotions the chances of them getting promoted are reduced.

If someone has been very inactive in the last week, with no explanation we can't tell if it's a serious health concern, or if they are just getting less interested in the server.

If you are very well liked by the staff, and on our short list for helper promotions, we will often personally reach out and try to figure out what's up.
Contributor to the craftland wiki http://wiki.craftland.org/wiki
Craftland coder.
3500+ Hours played
2500+ Hours as a Craftland admin.

Term
Premium 6
Accountname: terminator473
Last login: 2 years ago
Played: 4,791 hours
Blocks Mined: 6,956,247
Achievements: 209

Post by Term » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:58 pm

I can see this is directed a tiny bit towards me, The reason I put that on his application is mainly wondering if he quit, craftland can get boring, and once you get bored you stop playing, its happened to me plenty of times, I was more curious as to if he was taking a break from craftland or just off for a few days, I don't have a problem with people being offline for a few days for personal reasons, but if you apply for helper and putting information on your application then not going by what you said, I haven't seen him on teamspeak, not going to say he hasn't been on, but he says he plays daily, I was pointing out he hadn't played for a few days, and was more wondering why, its up to him to tell me, i'm not forcing anything. My comment had nothing to do with changing staffs decision on whether he should get helper, I was letting HIM know my views not the staff team.

USER_AVATAR
Build
Premium 6

Post by Build » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Term wrote:I can see this is directed a tiny bit towards me, The reason I put that on his application is mainly wondering if he quit, craftland can get boring, and once you get bored you stop playing, its happened to me plenty of times, I was more curious as to if he was taking a break from craftland or just off for a few days, I don't have a problem with people being offline for a few days for personal reasons, but if you apply for helper and putting information on your application then not going by what you said, I haven't seen him on teamspeak, not going to say he hasn't been on, but he says he plays daily, I was pointing out he hadn't played for a few days, and was more wondering why, its up to him to tell me, i'm not forcing anything. My comment had nothing to do with changing staffs decision on whether he should get helper, I was letting HIM know my views not the staff team.
:P I know it may seem like this is directed towards you but I really wanted to make it general. I want to make clear I do not blame you to have pushed anyone to tell anything.

To be clear what i wanted with this post is only one thing. I wanted to tell Applicants they should not feel obligated to tell everyone personal details why they were not online etc. Staff will ask if information is needed. If anyone wants to share his private life idc. i have done that as well to some level and i see no harm in doing so in a community like craftland.

I do not critisize any specific players and i do not want to critisize way staff selects helpers ;)