Accountname: The_Mushroomcow
Last login: 2 years ago
Played: 3,878 hours
Blocks Mined: 640,246
Achievements: 161

Re: Update 5.6 Patchnotes

Post by Mooshroom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Arbr wrote:
Moosh wrote:Neither. 100x100 alone is massive. Don't believe me? /warp 100x100.
It's huge.
Now imagine that times 8.

No region should be that big

My region is a little bigger than 100x100 then and thats mainly because I own a Town. Now if the new town system makes it so we can go bigger than 100x100 than nice but if not then sad face.
You can.
nidefawl wrote:- New defined regions can now only have a maximum length and width of 800 blocks
someone's going to see this eventually, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSKERiejO0
#OneMooChance

nidefawl
Premium 6
Last login: 6 months ago
Played: 2,264 hours
Blocks Mined: 98,426
Achievements: 102

Post by nidefawl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Kazugaxa wrote:I don't like the protection limit. Is stealing okay now or something?
Look at the rules: Stealing still isn't allowed.

Will the new limits allow more stealing? Maybe. But we had stealing before. Even with unlimited locks and region sizes.

Feel free to share you opinion on the new region and lock limits. Some may think its really bad, some may think its good.
No matter what your opinion on it is, or how many players are against it, the limits will stay in.

You need to understand there needs to be a limit. Not only because things went out of hands with regions and locks before.

If you are allowed to have infinite locks there is absolutely no reason to go back to some old chest that you no longer need and remove the lock.
If regions are allowed to be super large they will be created super large, even if the new region owner can't even use all that space.
I know that not all staff members (+helpers) would create that big regions on requests.
Past has shown that rules about those things need to be absolutely clear. Otherwise there will be more and more exceptions.
The best way to make rules clear is to enforce them in the code. That's not possible for all of the rules tho.

Right now some players still have regions which exceed that limit. I didn't delete the too big regions yet. I will contact them and tell them to get it fixed.
I will also contact active players that still exceed their lock count in some weeks.
ImageImageImage

Adam
Premium 6
Accountname: the_lumberlord
Last login: 4 years ago
Played: 2,067 hours
Blocks Mined: 746,235
Achievements: 163

Post by Adam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Lock limits have been put in place because the protections do take up a lot of memory. They save who protected the chest, whether or not the chest is private, and any other people with rights to the chest. Not to mention the data is saved permanently.
Support and contribute to the Craftland wiki here: http://wiki.craftland.org/wiki/How_To_Join

Toguno
Premium 6
Accountname: toguno
Last login: 5 years ago
Played: 1,412 hours
Blocks Mined: 421,492
Achievements: 133

Post by Toguno » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:59 am

Regions also protect chests, so instead of locking thirty chests next to each other you can just simply ask for a region.

Kazugaxa
Played: 262 hours
Blocks Mined: 96,571
Achievements: 66

Post by Kazugaxa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:48 am

Ah I get it. I think 800x800 would be enough room then, now that I think, that's still pretty damn big. I suppose we could live with the lock limit.. Though I'd rather there not be one.

Soulmusician wrote:
Kazugaxa wrote:
Crazy wrote: Most servers have a limit (On regions not chests)
So do large regions cause lag or are we trying to copy other servers?

They cause lag you are right. I would although mention a setting that kills regions and warps of people who did not join for longer than a year. That way we could get rid of a lot of regions and warps and the gameplay would be way better plus the database would shrink enormous.
I think that's a really good idea. Some players leave for good, and their regions sit there forever when that land could be used. Any chance of this being implemented? I've seen so many abandoned regions.

Toguno
Premium 6
Accountname: toguno
Last login: 5 years ago
Played: 1,412 hours
Blocks Mined: 421,492
Achievements: 133

Post by Toguno » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 pm

What happens to an old player who comes back? would it be nice to find all your stuff griefed and your regions deleted?

That would most likely cause them never to log in again.

Joyman533
Premium 4
Last login: 2 days ago
Played: 2,704 hours
Blocks Mined: 976,142
Achievements: 198

Post by Joyman533 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Toguno wrote:What happens to an old player who comes back? would it be nice to find all your stuff griefed and your regions deleted?

This.
Helper 5/1/15 to 12/25/15.
Please donate rails, stonebricks, and gold ores to the hopper at /warp TheSC. We need many of those in order to build the railroad network in Greycliff.

Kazugaxa

Post by Kazugaxa » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Toguno wrote:What happens to an old player who comes back? would it be nice to find all your stuff griefed and your regions deleted?

Most that leave for a year aren't likely to come back. They'd have to understand I suppose. I don't think they'd quit over something that they made a year or more ago anyway. Stagnant regions aren't very good to have lying around. Nobody uses them..

Banana_Cannon
Last login: 8 years ago
Played: 465 hours
Blocks Mined: 118,387
Achievements: 67

Post by Banana_Cannon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Kazugaxa wrote:

Most that leave for a year aren't likely to come back. They'd have to understand I suppose. I don't think they'd quit over something that they made a year or more ago anyway. Stagnant regions aren't very good to have lying around. Nobody uses them..
I quit and then came back over a year later. So did Joyman. In fact, we have had long periods of inactivity followed by some action after months.
DAS WAR EIN BEFEHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kazugaxa

Post by Kazugaxa » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Banana_Cannon wrote:
Kazugaxa wrote:

I quit and then came back over a year later. So did Joyman. In fact, we have had long periods of inactivity followed by some action after months.

Are you guys the only ones to come back? All I'm saying is that a minority comes back. Most are gone forever, and getting rid of unused regions could help the server. Correct me if I'm wrong. :D