Economy Reset? :o Tell me wot ye think

Please post all problems or questions you have in this forum.
Forum rules
Please report all bugs at http://bugs.craftland.org/
If there is a problem that players will be able to help you with feel free to post it here.

Should the economy be reset?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 39

USER_AVATAR
BeepBoop
Premium 6
Accountname: ESP_ScOpEzZ
Last login: 2 years ago
Played: 4,661 hours
Blocks Mined: 7,912,813
Achievements: 230

Re: Economy Reset? :o Tell me wot ye think

Post by BeepBoop » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 pm

"we" *last log in 2 years ago*

USER_AVATAR
Kye
Premium 6
Accountname: Respawnage
Last login: 4 years ago
Played: 3,717 hours
Blocks Mined: 8,877,512
Achievements: 218

Post by Kye » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Hades wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 pm
"we" *last log in 2 years ago*
well unless my region has disappeared or been pillaged there should be stuff there
Busy firing potatoes out of my butt.

In other news Derpy wins the Award for most Jailbait.

Cerbion
Premium 5
Played: 1,075 hours
Blocks Mined: 958,831
Achievements: 152

Post by Cerbion » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:40 pm

I don't think resetting the economy will solve any problems.

Just to reiterate that we are all on the same page:

What are coins used for?
So players can trade their items more easily between one another, as long as the "currency" is always useful for something and not worthless.

What's the current status of the economy?
The economy is roughly at 1.875bn coins (at the time of writing this it's exactly 1,875,572,909 coins including bank accounts)
Craftland has around 28,500 members, that averages every player to about 65k coins.
The top 5 richest players already possess roughly 1.2bn coins meaning that:
From 28,500 Players that have combined 1.875bn coins, less than 0.02% of players own over 60% of all the money.

Disclaimer: Even if, say the money is only really on 2,850 players (so 10% of the original value) and the average is 650k (which is a lot closer to what active players have) it still doesn't change the fact that those are peanuts and it'll mean that not 0.02% but 0.2% players have over 60% of all the money (still ridiculous).

Nothing to see here officer, what is the problem?
While it's not impossible to gain a lot of money for new players, it's generally not in their primary interest and they don't hunt for the most "coin-effective" achievements right from the get-go.
So they'll still get the occasional Monster Hunt bonus, Gold Rush, Arena Boss money or get an achievement here and there.
Maybe they are lucky and get a decent item that they can sell to someone else.
But all of this is a far cry from the amounts of money other players have and if a new player wants to buy something the inflated market makes everything more expensive for them (and players who have the money most likely don't need the item or are even the ones selling it)

But at the end of the day, the players that play more and have more items will always be richer and (can) have more money than those that have fewer items and/or played less.

Are you saying there's no solution?
There is! But it's not going to be perfect and will never be "truly" balanced.
Every MMO-type game has its issues with the economy, but that's because a currency based economy will always have these issues.
One thing that comes to mind is "Money Sinks" and "Lategame Purchases".
Some of these are already implemented but fairly "weak" so it's not an annoyance if you want to maintain the best gear.
And I can see some endgame purchases being really useful:
Supply Crate Key for 250k
Revenant Greataxe for 200k
There's also something that is very difficult to balance but probably help as well: Have something that richer players want to buy off of newer players.
(there's a lot of possibilities but I am not going to go too deep into that because that should rather go into a different post/thread altogether)

So all things considered, there could be improvements to balance money gain/spending but just emptying everyone's pocket is not the smartest way to go. (Very much reminds me of Thanos' idea on how to solve problems)

Pingu001
Premium 1
Accountname: M_E_Lagius
Last login: 1 day ago
Played: 3,839 hours
Blocks Mined: 4,277,260
Achievements: 265

Post by Pingu001 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:47 am

Those endgame purchases you mentioned are far below the market price and are predetermined to be abused
Supply Crate Keys vary in price between 350k and 500k Revenant Greataxe has a quite stable market value of 800k

I do however support the idea of adding things that newer plsyer could obtain that are desired by late game players
Regarding that i would suggest maybe a dungeon with few daily entries, maybe just1 or maybe a new item that players receive when they start out, similar to the empty spawnegg
Imo it would have to be some sort of consumable or just an item that you use and need more of, maybe to maintain a max level gear as. cerbion mentioned
could also go into my suggestion of enchantable passive skills and attributes for weapons, maybe a sigil to do so
While playing god, struck down by the real ones.

Vsauce
Premium 3
Accountname: BetterOne
Last login: 2 years ago
Played: 935 hours
Blocks Mined: 2,393,956
Achievements: 158

Post by Vsauce » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:42 am

Im not really sure how this would even change anything about the "wealth distribution" of the server, coin rich players could solidify their coins in assets and resell them after reset. This would leave potential returning players in pretty much poverty in comparison with active rich players. I feel as though this would also seriously slow the economy down, by a lot. No one will be able to afford pricey player items (i.e. Valkyrie Swords) until there would be a ton of money pumped into the economy. I like the solution of high price aesthetic items to sort of serve as a server tax. I also think if we reset the balance of people who have illegitimantly obtained items (I.e. duping) could also help simmer down the economy. Just my 2 cents.

USER_AVATAR
Diesel
Premium 6
Accountname: xXair_craftXx
Last login: 1 year ago
Played: 632 hours
Blocks Mined: 924,206
Achievements: 197

Post by Diesel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 pm

This gap between rich and poor happened when the pirate spawners were sold for money and afk grinding was not forbidden.

In that time players especially Tjoleeh gained hundreds of millions of coins. Before there were players which had far more than pthers, but at this time the difference exploded

I think there is no real way to fix it

USER_AVATAR
fin344
Premium 2
Played: 1,793 hours
Blocks Mined: 398,909
Achievements: 138

Post by fin344 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm

id rather have a complete reset than a economy reset