"arena is crap"

Please post all problems or questions you have in this forum.
Forum rules
Please report all bugs at http://bugs.craftland.org/
If there is a problem that players will be able to help you with feel free to post it here.
amp
Premium 6
Accountname: ChanceIsChance
Last login: 3 years ago
Played: 3,417 hours
Blocks Mined: 3,594,816
Achievements: 201

"arena is crap"

Post by amp » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:21 am

https://gyazo.com/76c0ed3966e4b217fd2dcdbe8398419e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tilt does 92k dmg; gets this: http://prnt.sc/bws8i6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Question Authority.
Be Too Stupid To Stop.

Qu'importe le chemin que je prends j'aurai des regrets et des remords.

Papa_Mooshroom
Premium 6
Accountname: The_Mushroomcow
Last login: 2 years ago
Played: 3,878 hours
Blocks Mined: 640,246
Achievements: 161

Re: "arena is crap"

Post by Papa_Mooshroom » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 am

He forgot to make his sacrifice to RNGesus, obviously

Eh, figured I'd edit this to be more serious. Nide has mentioned that the original concept of the bosses was designed around teamwork. That's still apparent by how they function mechanically. The entire 'teamwork' thing has kinda not been evident, though, given how easily bosses can be solo'd or annihilated by the power players. I think that, because of that, the arena only discourages teamwork. Most times when I do arena, it's only either when it's a prize anyone can get, like a hat, or if the power players aren't there. A lot of newer players think the same. The point I'm trying to make is, while a prize rebalance could be helpful, it would probably discourage teamwork and newer players' participation even more because it would add extra incentive to the power players to just stomp every arena, which would just make the current situation worse. It'd make arena worse for anyone not getting first or second place. There is essentially no reason to do arena aside from being able to consistently be in the top two, get boss medals, or get a hat. Making first place better would solidify the gap between power and newer players, and ultimately discourage newer players from doing arena at all. I'm not saying that more powerful people shouldn't get the advantage, but, if there's any buffing the prizes of first and second place, then, at the very least, there should be at least something providing incentive for the newer players. If there isn't, there's no reason to do arena if you can't topscore, which is our current situation. In short, buffing prizes for first and second scorers would make arena more useless if you aren't Frost, basically.

Not only that, but changing arena at all is a potentially drastic and serious change. Take the thing that happened when the spawner was glitched, for example, and kept pumping bosses out every 10 minutes. A simple change of the way that prizes are distributed wouldn't work well, I don't think. At the start, anyone could get a prize. This was an issue to the top scorers who felt it was unfair. It was changed to the system now, where I don't think I've ever seen anyone below second get a high-tier prize. This was an issue to the higher-scoring players because it felt unfair to the first placer if the second place won, simply because RNG decided they would get the prize. There is another issue where, in this theoretical situation, where only first player can get the prize. This would make it unfair for anyone that isn't Frost, or potentially first place feeling as if their damage was worthy of a prize. In another theoretical situation where prizes are determined by percent of damage dealt to the boss, the situation with the last one comes up again, where they feel like they did enough because it gives the false impression where a lot of damage = rare prize every time, and the idea that it's impossible for a newer player, and, at this point, I feel like I should mention, that newer player isn't even a new person wearing leather armor. Anyone that isn't wearing full enchanted valk with high MCMMO and enchants for their axes or swords is at a huge disadvantage.

If there's any issues with arena, I feel it's not the RNG prize distribution or high entry barriers, but it's the arena that is fundamentally flawed.

I'm probably gonna come back and edit this post as ideas arise, as well, because there's so many ways to look at this situation

I'll hop off my soapbox now
someone's going to see this eventually, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSKERiejO0
#OneMooChance

amp
Premium 6

Post by amp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:55 am

I agree with you, Mooshroom. But not on everything. The arena wouldn't be that bad if the rare loot was .01% more common, and the Vampire boss didn't take 10 million years to kill, shred armor, and give the same odds for shit loot as the easy bosses like the golem.
Question Authority.
Be Too Stupid To Stop.

USER_AVATAR
JPat
Premium 3
Accountname: jpattrin040
Played: 270 hours
Blocks Mined: 367,204
Achievements: 80

Post by JPat » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:46 pm

I am DEFINITELY going to agree with the vampire boss. It needs a serious rebalance. Either: Lower/remove the defense buff, nerf the butlers in some way, or raise the rewards.(or something else, idk, everyone just hates the vamp boss)

amp
Premium 6

Post by amp » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:41 pm

did 56k dmg to boss last night. got haste iv pots. lol.
Question Authority.
Be Too Stupid To Stop.

Papa_Mooshroom
Premium 6
Accountname: The_Mushroomcow
Played: 3,878 hours
Blocks Mined: 640,246
Achievements: 161

Post by Papa_Mooshroom » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:01 am

rubino wrote:I agree with you, Mooshroom. But not on everything. The arena wouldn't be that bad if the rare loot was .01% more common, and the Vampire boss didn't take 10 million years to kill, shred armor, and give the same odds for shit loot as the easy bosses like the golem.
Oh I guess my reply didn't go through

It wouldn't be bad if it was that much more common, no, but then it'd be bad in a different way, because people would see nide is well aware of the imbalance and only did a basically unnoticable change. A large RNG change would just fall into the issues that I mentioned above
someone's going to see this eventually, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSKERiejO0
#OneMooChance

USER_AVATAR
Nodus
Premium 5
Accountname: Main_Protagonist
Last login: 1 year ago
Played: 573 hours
Blocks Mined: 3,069,326
Achievements: 100

Post by Nodus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:13 am

% of damage dealt giving you that percentage of a chance at getting the reward seems like the most fair way to reward the high damaging players while giving the new guys a shot at the prize.

amp
Premium 6

Post by amp » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:47 am

Main_Protagonist wrote:% of damage dealt giving you that percentage of a chance at getting the reward seems like the most fair way to reward the high damaging players while giving the new guys a shot at the prize.
SO MUCH THIS
Question Authority.
Be Too Stupid To Stop.

USER_AVATAR
Kye
Premium 6
Accountname: Respawnage
Last login: 4 years ago
Played: 3,717 hours
Blocks Mined: 8,877,512
Achievements: 218

Post by Kye » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:05 pm

been saying this for over 2 years now the arena just isnt worth it
Busy firing potatoes out of my butt.

In other news Derpy wins the Award for most Jailbait.

USER_AVATAR
Bubik2
Premium 6
Last login: 1 year ago
Played: 3,175 hours
Blocks Mined: 6,526,782
Achievements: 256

Post by Bubik2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I do often arena and do sometimes like 60k damage or more but i got only got so normal stuff
Pls make arena more fair
Just a Bubik :O
(My English is always bad)